I work as a line cook so I think I can provide a more nuanced understanding of why cooking professionally is like this. It's definitely not your place if you aren't ready to take a lot of crap.
Cooking is an intensely competitive and stressful place. Expect a lot of yelling, swearing and stress smoking. Hundreds of customers flood in twice a day in an hour and a half. You have to cook every piece of food perfectly under enormous time pressure over and over. Every piece of fish, steak or cod undercooked or burnt is a profit turned into a loss. It's hot, humid and rushed in there. Your coworkers and you will be irate, rude and angry.
The pay is terrible for many years until you start getting near the managerial level. The only people who want to do it are very competitive.
Women don't cook any worse than men but working in a restaurant is just 40% making good food. The other 60% is customer service, which means dealing with hundreds of orders very quickly. A single mistake, orders pile up, customers get angtsy. Its a raw deal. Some women like Cat Cora take it. Most don't.
The most this environment can do is hurt your feelings. If people get under your skin and you can't take this sort of environment, you'll die.