[ Rules / FAQ ] [ meta / b / media / img / feels / hb / x ]

/b/ - Random

Name
Email
Message

*Text* => Text

**Text** => Text

***Text*** => Text

[spoiler]Text[/spoiler] => Text

Verification
Image
Direct Link
Options NSFW image
Sage (thread won't be bumped)

Use REPORTS. Posting 'Mods pls' achieves nothing.
Check the Catalog before making a new thread.
Do not respond to maleposters. See Rule 8.
Please read the rules! Last update: 04/23/2020 - No new rules, only clarification added.

careerwoman.jpg

Job & Career Thread Anonymous 2867

- What job/career are you currently working or working towards
- What have you noticed about people in certain career paths
- Where da money actually at for least stress, etc.
- Which fields do generally higher IQ/savvier women excel in (let's be honest, if you've made it to imageboards/Crystal Cafe you're over a certain threshold of smarts of some kinds)
- Tips for other anons/Ask for advice
- Shit that sucks about work in general

Anonymous 2868

I'm currently getting out of a career in academia. I went in loving it and came out hating it. Maybe a couple of years out will make me like it again but right now I can't step foot into a University without shuddering.

I'm scoping out careers in research and regular white-collar jobs, my main goal is finding something with normal work hours that pays well, I'm not too fussed either way.

Because I specialize in humanities/careers for people in degrees like English, History, Nationalism, etc. I have to say your biggest leg up is network. Keep in good standing with your professors (especially ones who are active in their fields), go to every single job fair, take volunteer and internship opportunities when offered. I know this is redundant and can qualify for most degrees, but because the humanities are much more theoretical, our job choices aren't as concrete, so we have to find what we like and what we can see ourselves doing (be that teaching, working in an NGO, doing government work, etc.)

From what I've seen and had my friends tell me (purely on a humanities front) the jobs that are most interesting but don't pay well are
>Intro level NGO
>Journalism
>Archival jobs (research, managment, etc)
>Teaching at a school level
>Tour guide

The jobs that pay more but are either in high demand or stressful are
>Researcher at a thinktank/major NGO
>Professor (full-time)
>Museum curator or manager (usually grandfathered in position or is someone related to BoT)
>Foreign agent for Government (embassy work)

There's probably more but I can't really think of much right now.

Anonymous 2869

>What job/career are you currently working or working towards?
I work in publishing and editing, though I do a lot of different things, such as working in CSS, proofreading, data mapping, and content management. I suppose you could call it technical writing, too. I don't hate it, but I don't love it.
>Tips for other anons/Ask for advice.
Don't think you're too good for a job. As a teenager and young adult, I always felt like I was too good for certain jobs, but in the end, money is money and work experience is just that. I feel like people put a lot of emphasis on office jobs, or being "established" in a certain field, but doing things like being a nanny, PA, or contract work are fine, too.

Sometimes I dream about going back and getting a different degree in something more lucrative, but it seems like a waste of time and expenses.

>>2868
I can't agree more with the networking point. I've had people balk at me when I say I got a job (livable wage, too) almost immediately out of college as an English major, but it was purely because of an internship/connections.

Anonymous 2870

>What job/career are you currently working or working towards
Gorporate finance
>What have you noticed about people in certain career paths
I went for a general business degree and later specialised in finance, and holy shit marketing is a cesspit of self-important dickbags. Also everyone and their dog is suddenly a 'social media expert'. Finance is an old and rather conservative industry but the people working there aren't actually as bad as they're portrayed in movies. I think the 'unscrupulous corporate goon' trope is more of an older generation thing and mostly reserved for the C-suite. From what I've experienced there's actually lots of women in finance and any kind of immature behaviour is strongly discouraged. In my degree programme we did get a lot of 'I wanna be a loan shark/day trader/CEO and get rich quick lolll xDD' folk and there are some memesters who genuinely believe that finance is a man's field because 'girls r bad at maths lmao' but they usually get put in their place pretty quickly and you don't hear a peep from them after that.
>Where da money actually at for least stress, etc.
Not in my field, that's for damn sure. Money's okay and bigger banks are enforcing these work-life balance programmes but you should expect a lot of stress. If you're well organised though you can probably handle it.

That said, I'm loathe to apply for a job in Switzerland because I've heard some pretty bad horror stories about their blatant mistreatment of women in general. Stuff like straight up asking you if you're gonna have kids (whilst men don't get asked anything of the sorts) or whether you're married or not, and forcing you to 'try out' as a clerk then telling you you're doing too good of a job for them to consider moving you up the ladder. Gay shit like that. London's much better in that regard but eh, Brexit.

>(let's be honest, if you've made it to imageboards/Crystal Cafe you're over a certain threshold of smarts of some kinds)

Lol okay
>Which fields do generally higher IQ/savvier women excel in
'Higher IQ' is a meme. I've seen people who consider themselves too smart for studying x y and z flunk because they didn't put in the necessary work. If you work really hard and aren't a bumbling idiot, you can get anywhere provided you have the right connections. The most important thing about getting a good job is connections, followed by constant improvement, followed by grades. The latter might not matter as much for other fields, but in finance and accounting they REALLY give a shit about your GPA.

Anonymous 2871

So! Maybe some miners can help a very lost girl out (sorry if wrong thread).

I'm considering pursuing journalism, but i am not so sure it's a good path.
Most people I've told this to told me that journalism is dying and it's a very low-paying tired job, and that i'd be better off considering another career.
Is this true? Do you really make barely any money while working your ass off? How were the studies/what did you have to do?

My second option in humanities would be psychology, but i don't think i like it as much, tho if it is a more secure job i'd take it.

I've also considered being a make up artist, but i am not sure which fields i need to study (since courses are like 6k a year, i don't really see it as worthy as i can attend uni for free where i am from) for it or if it's just connections + being good in social media.
Also considered opening up a bakery (which if i had money would be my first option), but that seems impossible as i barely have money of my own to open up business and where i am from it's almost impossible to find places where you can do free practice for your CV (some people even ask for 2+ years experience for non paying "practice" here lol)

So i'm stuck trying to find a career which i enjoy but also pays well, since i prefer things that pay like shit. (i am very good with computers, tried programming for a year, but i don't really enjoy it much, so i'd never think of pursuing it as a career, eventhough i know it pays very well, i'd rather not be miserable, but who knows).

Most youth where i'm from is completely stuck with no job, and even the shitty paying jobs (i.e retail/service) normally goes to uni students since they cannot find jobs even with a degree. So building experience seems basically impossible without a shit ton of connections in industries, which i don't have.
What is my best bet here? Do i lie in my CV? Move out ASAP? Take courses while doing uni?
I do have a LinkedIn, but i don't really know how to use it to form connections, since i have 0 job experience, do i just add people at random and lick some boots?

Sorry for wall of text, i am just very lost for my future right now.

Anonymous 2872

>>2871
Can't say much about journalism except that it's become a watered-down shitshow where they don't even fact check their sources before they publish a shoddily written article with a lazy, clickbait title, but I don't think it's wise to invest time and energy into makeup artistry since everyone and their mum wants to be one nowadays and that bubble is close to bursting, if it hasn't already.
For CV tips, do a search on Pinterest for some basics, likewise for LinkedIn. Don't add people you don't know, look for events on Facebook (hackathons, seminars, anything) and join those, then meet people there and add them. Add classmates, professors, former bosses if you're on good terms/have them, etc.

Some generic career advice from me: don't go looking for a career you'll love, because that love will be short-lived. Go for a career you don't hate that pays well and keep your hobbies for weekends and holidays. Find something you're good at, do that. Few people get to truly do what they love, and many stop loving it when it becomes a full-time job instead of a hobby. Nobody was born wanting to be a lawyer/barrister, many people get into it because it's a 'good' career path, likewise for medicine, programming, finance etc.

Anonymous 2874

>>2871
Journalism is a pretty tough field right now. A lot of the more prominent magazines tend to have unspoken agreements with Ivy Leagues/top unis and kind of just take the top writers from Journalism programs there (look at Vice and Village Voice, every other writer there is from Columbia), so you'll have to either network extremely hard or be extremely lucky. The more reputable or smaller places are usually easier to get jobs but the pay is either abysmal or it's freelance so you're competing with a few other people for the piece. It's pretty hard to get a comfortable career in journalism right now, tbh.

I'm not sure what country you're in/your financial situation but I would say if you can afford it, take a year or two doing different courses at Uni and see what strikes your fancy. Then when you've found the thing that you connect with, lock down your major and study that. Try and get a degree in something you enjoy. Nowadays hardly anyone actually works in what they study, so just do it for the degree and have fun. While you study, take up any internship that is offered or do a part-time job. That way you can pad out your CV while you study.

Once you graduate hopefully you'll have found some inspiration from someone you know or gotten a general idea of what you want to do (even if it's as vague as "I want to work in an office and not deal with people" or something) and then go from there.

Anonymous 2875

>>2872
Damn, thank you for the cold hard slap of reality there!
It really seems to be the widespread consensus that journalism is a shit career (worse is, is that i wanted to opt for videogames journalism, which seems to be even worse lol).
I will try to do what you said on LinedIn, hopefully it will be fruitful!

>>2874
Then i am even more screwed, because i'm from west Europe and planned to go to university here, so mostly i would just be able to do shit jobs like you said, since most "big" media in my country is absolute shit and shady as hell. Hmmm, i will have to reconsider my career choice.
Maybe as soon as i start uni the inspiration will come through me and i'll find something.
Money is a problem, unfortunately, but maybe i'll find some free courses if i move to a big city, hopefully, at least.

What would you guys say are the highest paying careers (or at least enough to live a okay to comfortable life) that are not too extreme stress? Is it possible to find one in humanities or have i fucked by choosing this path?
Also, what would you guys say it's a good (free) thing to spend my time improving to achieve more goals? (for example, become a pro at excel or something like that)

Anonymous 2876

>>2875
>>What would you guys say are the highest paying careers (or at least enough to live a okay to comfortable life) that are not too extreme stress?

I already have an undergraduate degree and was accepted into a master's program already, but I'd still like to know this. What do you guys think of Marketing (International Marketing and Analytics specifically)?

>>Also, what would you guys say it's a good (free) thing to spend my time improving to achieve more goals? (for example, become a pro at excel or something like that)


It depends on which field you want to enter, and what your specific goals are. Only you can decide this, although if you want to work in journalism, then perhaps publishing a book, online blog or submitting to newspapers and online columns could help you get connections/hired.

Anonymous 2877

>>2875
Ah ok you're in Western Europe? That changes things a little. Dirstly yeah, if money is an issue try finding some sort of part-time where you can make money. One pro that I've seen though, especially in Western Europe, is that Universities have a lot of campus or student jobs that are flexible for anyone interested. As soon as you start studying ask around in different departments for jobs that are hiring. In the humanities especially they always need students for archival work or menial paperwork. It isn't glamorous but it's something! It'll also help you build a relationship with the department for more connections!!

>What would you guys say are the highest paying careers (or at least enough to live a okay to comfortable life) that are not too extreme stress? Is it possible to find one in humanities or have i fucked by choosing this path?

It really depends on what kind of career you choose. A lot of people say Academia isn't very stressful but you have to love reading/writing/research. Or just doing an office position for a University not as a professor (like academic advisor or secretary). The pay isn't huge but it's comfortable to live off of.

And extra classes wise? I would say learn computer languages maybe? Also just try to volunteer and get stuff to put on your CV as often as possible.

>>2876
You have a lot of options tbh. Analytics is always really high in demand, off the top of my head you can easily get a job with media companies (CNN/Time Warner, BBC, DW always have analytics positions open), you can go into Management for international companies (Airline industries, hotels, etc.). What I would tell you is find internship programs at top companies around the world. While a lot are competitive they take a lot more people than you'd think. The only crux is is that they usually make you commit a couple of years to them, so you train/they teach you their management style for 2 years while you travel and get paid and when you're done you have to work with that company for a minimum of X years (this is seen as the fair exchange since they took the time and money to train you, so they don't want you to run off to a competitor right when you're done). So if I were in your shoes I'd think of an industry you'd like to get perks from and go from there (want to possibly have media opportunities and go to film screenings? Go to news agencies! Want to travel the world? Work for an airline! Want to make tons of money? Work for an insurance company! (this one is tons of work/hours though))
The one thing I would say to steer clear from is Money based companies like stock/bank/law/etc. They pay the most but are the most work and are really competitive.

Anonymous 2878

>>2872

>Some generic career advice from me: don't go looking for a career you'll love, because that love will be short-lived. Go for a career you don't hate that pays well and keep your hobbies for weekends and holidays. Find something you're good at, do that


This is sound advice. Thank you Anon <3

Anonymous 2879

image.png

OP here. I just did good enough at my first interview for a "big-girl" job today that I'm scheduled for a grill session with them in a few days. For one hour, they will ask me questions and vice versa for the remaining 30 minutes. What tips can you give me that I won't get from anyone else?

Pic related: Feels like the situation I'm in.

Anonymous 2880

>>2879
I think jus treating it like a final oral exam or something is the best!

Read up everything on the job/company, compile a list of questions you have and bring it in so you don't forget anything, stay calm and confident and don't forget to laugh off any mistakes you may make!

Also bring a notebook and a pen. You can jot down any ideas/questions and it'll help you keep on topic and answer longer questions they may ask!

Anonymous 2881

Is it a wise idea to work for free just to boost your cv if you don't have enough experience for what you wanna do?

I'm tempted to contact a few companies asking if I can work for free/intern. I work in the evenings so I can juggle both definitely.

I just guess I need you guys to yay or nay it for me ^/////^

Anonymous 2882

>>2881
> 3 Do not use emojis, all caps or any obnoxious typing style.

My suggestion is that you lurk more and read the rules.

Anonymous 2883

>>2881
yeah, any experience is better than an empty resume or a lot of gaps between school/work.
and crabby anon is right, you can just post an image to describe your feelings theres no need for emoji on here

Anonymous 2884

>>2882 emojis are in relation to the keyboard, not symbol based emoticons

Anonymous 2885

>>2881
What field? In some fields it seems necessary to do unpaid internships, in others not so much. If you are going to try for unpaid internships though, still treat it like you are applying for a job and send a cover letter and resume, don't just ask about availability.

In general I'm against unpaid work, but I know not everyone has the option to avoid it. I've seen friends settle for the first thing that came up and it happened to be unpaid, but they could have easily gotten a paid gig had they looked a little more and they would have gotten more from a paid internships (not just money wise, I mean mentoring and experience wise). Ultimately you gotta do what you gotta do, so if that's all that's available in your area go for it.

Anonymous 2886

>>2884
Even if that is the case, that emoji is still 2007 as fuck and at least falls under the "obnoxious typing style" bit.

Anonymous 2887

IMG_0359.JPG

>>2886 ok fine. Point noted.

Anonymous 2888

Is it normal/expected to apply for multiple positions at a big company?

I'm trying to get into a programming job and I meet he qualifications for a handful of jobs at some of the major tech companies I'm applying to.

Should I apply to all of the ones I'm qualified for, or pick one and trust that if they think I'm a better fit for another job they'll point me in that direction?

Should I skip the online applications all together and try and reach out to their recruiters to ask which job I sound like the best fit for?

Anonymous 2889

2dc9b8cd3e20679318…

I'm >>2879
>>2880
I read your comment the other day and it helped me out, just didn't have time to reply with all the preparation I was doing. So I wanted to say thanks so much! (I was hoping the board is active enough that someone would see my post!) I got the job! They called me 1 hour after I left the interview to let me know. I can't believe it. Miners, I'm going to explain what worked for me in finding a job and hope that it will help someone out. By the way, I am an anon without a formal degree but a decent amount of on-the-job experience from a variety of different jobs (customer service/computer-related for the most part.)

My biggest tip, and this depends on the field you're going into and the area you live in, is to stop in at the business, introduce yourself and let them know you submitted a resume/application. Just ask about I admittedly live in a pretty laid-back area culturally and I look nice (well-done makeup, dressed nicely compared to everyone else, and naturally decent looking), but this was the difference between me getting the job and someone else getting it, especially because I was underqualified. My former boss and my current boss both told me that this was the difference and they were impressed.

I'm an anxiety anon, so I had to do some breathing techniques to help with the stress. I also woke up early to jog/walk for about 30 minutes at the gym and do some refreshing stretches. Overall this worked a lot better than in the first interview that I also passed but was shaking during and forgetting words, I hadn't exercised for a week because I was so busy and stressed with securing a job. Looking back, I would have made keeping up with exercise a bigger priority to reduce the stress of all of it.

I also spent hours writing answers to all job interview questions related to the fields under which the job falls, behavioral (that's what they ended up focusing on), general common questions, and lastly personal questions. Then I rehearsed as many as I could with another person and the remainder I practiced alone. I reviewed them all quite a few times. This made it so much easier to answer the questions because I had already thought about suitable situations to discuss or answers before-hand. I speak in casual, slang-like terms often and I practiced over the days beforehand in every interaction I had to speak with more poise, focus on using a wider range of vocabulary words and not saying as much as I usually too (I add on quite a bit of rambling sometimes so I got that under control.)

Hold an open, inviting posture, gesture with your hands, don't fidget like I do, and smile at the times in which it's appropriate (especially if you have a great smile). If you have a good attitude and do all this, people will have a higher chance of liking you just from this observable information about you and how you deal with situations in the moment.

Good luck career-seeking gems, if I can do it, you can do it! :)

Anonymous 2890

>>2889
I already deleted my post like 3 times because I'm [6] so I'm not going to delete it again, but correct where I wrote
>Just ask about
I meant to say that you go in and say something like, "Hey, I submitted an application the other day and I wanted to see if I could check the place out a bit." Sometimes this is well-received, sometimes it won't be, but it depends on the type of business, I think.

Anonymous 2891

I'm about to send out some job applications and I'm really nervous. Are there any good resume/cover letter critique services that are worth using? Specifically for people going into the tech industry as developers. I'm a pretty good writer but I'm still so new to cover letter and resume writing that I'm kind of worried I'm taking the wrong approach.

Anonymous 2892

Got an interview tomorrow for my first real office job. Technically it's just an entry position at a call centre but I've interviewed for another call centre before, which did offer me the position, however I felt like their hiring process was rushed and sketchy, despite the fact that they represented major companies. So I let that job offer go to waste which I regret a lot now since I've been sitting on my ass for the last two months.

Anyways, I've only ever worked retail before and even if some of the shops I worked at were technically high end or "luxury" I still don't feel those experiences translate over to an office environment at all. I have high anxiety and I think that's why I convince myself to stick to retail jobs that I'm familiar with. It gives me a sense of comfort.

Anyways, I'm trying to keep my stress levels and panicky feelings to a minimum, although I have less than 24 hours to prepare for the interview. I need all the help and advice in the world to help me prepare and get the job (they're much more rigorous and professional than the last company I applied to).

Anonymous 2893

>>2892
Well I got the job but training doesn't start until August 21st and I won't even be filling out my hiring paperwork until a week or two beforehand. Originally we were supposed to start our three-week training period on July 31st but it was postponed.

Kind of a bummer but only because I get very nervous waiting to start a job and anything could happen within a month. I'm scared our training session gets cancelled altogether. Also that means I won't be getting a paycheque until early/mid September so my poor boyfriend has to pay the rent alone this month and the next since I've now run out of savings. Fml.

Anonymous 2894

I've been on a networking bender the past few days. Went to two industry events and reached out to a stale contact, now I have two lunches and a phone call, and am emailing with another person who's going to pass along my resume, plus a bunch of new contacts. It's kind of exciting but exhausting at the same time. But boy oh boy am I ready to have expendable cash again.

>>2893
That does sound stressful, but you got this. Congrats on the new job!

Anonymous 2895

3e73b081fedc2c6c93…

>>2894
After only about a week of networking I'm already halfway to a job offer! Granted, the position is only tangentially related to the industry I really want to get into, and it's only part time work, but it's also the kind of thing that puts me in a good place to keep working on my personal projects and continue networking, and it's nice to be making any progress in my job search so instantly! Feels good, man.

Anonymous 2896

>>2895
Literally how do you network? At all? I don't even know the basics or where to start.

Anonymous 2897

>>2896
I went on meetup.com and looked for industry relevant events. I was able to find a bunch of free lectures and workshops in my area. I've gone to all of them that I could and brought my resume with me. After the event I just throw my resume at the presenter or organizer and anyone else there who seems like a good contact. If you live in a good city for your area it's actually pretty easy! It helps that my field is notoriously bad at people skills so just showing up to these things shows initiative that 90% of my field doesn't possess lol

Anonymous 2898

I really like a job where i can work from home. any ideas?
atm I work as language teacher but sometimes i don't earn a lot :/
was thinking about starting ebay business

Anonymous 2899

So I'm going to a big interview next week and I'm trying to decide whether to bring up my depression/mental health problems in the interview.

Most of my past several months have been spent working really hard on improving my mental health problems through therapy and positive lifestyle changes. I haven't cured myself, but I've made measurable improvements (steady sleep schedule, going out and being around people, having better control over/less frequent anxiety attacks, no longer allowing negative thoughts to create inertia etc) and have my next steps planned. These are things that I'm really proud of, and I feel like it even shows some good qualities; organization, time management, critical thinking, tenacity,etc.

I also think that a workplace where I can be honest if I need to step out for a minute to calm myself down, or if I end up needing to use my sick time on mental health would be amazing.

I would never consider bringing it up because I'm really afraid of them making the wrong judgement over it, but at one of their networking events a man there was extremely honest that he has been unemployed due to depression, and their response was to offer him an interview. Do you think this is a sign that I might be able to mention depression and how I'm learning to manage it in my interview too? Have any of you done this before?

Anonymous 2900

>>2899
Just to clarify, I don't mean bringing it up randomly or in a way that asks for special treatment. What I mean is bringing it up if it's relevant to something they asked.

For example, if they ask my biggest failure, responding with the time I internalized blame for something that no one actually blamed me for, and letting my anxiety over it develop into an avoidance pattern. Then, explain how I learned in therapy through this experience how to interrupt those thoughts and face difficult or uncomfortable situations head on.

Like, I could tell most of the story while skirting the issue of anxiety and depression, but mentioning it would give better context as to why I struggled with it to such an extent, and I feel gives more depth to the extent I had to go to to overcome it.

This is probably still a bad idea though, isn't it?

Anonymous 2901

I'm still a student and this year I'll have to be in an internship for 5/6 months. Since I'm studying foreign languages I want to go to Japan the most so I can practice and progress much faster. I heard there's no such things as interships in Japan, so I will apply to French companies in Japan to have more chances to be hired (since I'm French), but I'm sure it's still going to be difficult to obtain an internship there.

Does anybody have advice about internships or jobs in general in Japan for foreigners?

Anonymous 2902

>>2901
Don't really have advice but yeah, I'm French studying nip as well, and it's commonly said you can't really find internships in Japan. Finding a French company is the way to go, I know an alumni from the same Licence degree who went to his friends' startup company that sold clothes from there.

If you're doing it in a French company they probably won't ask too much for Japanese speaking skills but it's commonly said you need around N2 to get by professionally in Japan, so if you have it it's a good asset. If not you could try to pass it in December.
Try finding out if former students in your degree have been in Japan for internships, usually you can check their Internship reports (how the fuck do you say Rapport de stage in English lol) somewhere so if you find one try contacting them for info or directly try to contact the society.

Anonymous 2903

>>2902
>it's commonly said you need around N2 to get by professionally in Japan
That's what worries me the most. I haven't tried to check my level because I got the date for the last session of JLPT last year mixed up so I'm not sure I'm good enough. I know my biggest problem is the kanji, I don't remember that many of them and forgot a lot of kanji. I think it's safer to go for the N3 test for my first time I think.

Also I'm in LEA, and while I'm trying not to powerlevel too much, but in my university some teachers aren't that good and waste everyone's time teaching things that aren't all that interesting regarding the language or the culture. That and all the classes for English and other things makes me feel like I should have wait for another degree to learn faster but LLCE doesn't sound all that interesting either… I'll check the reports written by other students and ask advice to some of my Japanese teacher as soon as I go back to college.

2904

>>2903
I managed to get N2 despite being real bad at kanji, thanks to being pretty good at oral comprehension, but yeah a N3 is better than nothing in any case.
Surprised you have a 6-months internship in LEA, mine was only 2 months lol. If you want to discuss more hmu by email (I've got Skype and Discord), I admit I'm curious what uni you're at. I finished my LEA this year myself (well, I will have finished if I submit my report on time) so mite b fun

Anonymous 2905

>>2901
It isn't typically paid so it'll be expensive but consulates/embassies usually accept nationals from their countries to do internships at various stations across the globe. You could try to contact the French embassy in Tokyo to see if they have some sort of internship program.

Anonymous 2906

Kinda vent, but the feels thread won't get what I mean. Hopefully someone here does.
>tfw have to do Frontend development for a project, because the pajeet you are working with is utterly useless
>tfw you've built the Backend and Frontend all by yourself because you know you can't trust this dumbass
>tfw pajeet couldn't even build a database or the diagrams
>tfw pajeet didn't know how to run a logic layer either
>tfw now you have to implement encryption, salting, the database, the scripts, the Frontend, the repositories up to date, all the documentation, all the business logic and hosting
>tfw everytime you suggest pajeet does his shit, he asks you how to do it

Do I look like a fucking trainer? Good fucking thing all the work is credited here, so when it is checked by the manager, he will immediately be prompted with that shit. He is done with pajeets shit too, because pajeet is fucking useless and tries to recruit him to do his work.

For fucks sake, indian coders are the worst thing ever to exist. Ban me for racism, but the broken comments, the code that is copy pasted systemically, code that is 50% security hazards, use of outdated frameworks, documentation that leads you nowhere and the fact they can not fucking into English, makes working with them a living hell. This idiot had a CSV file of 65gb full of zeroes that he tried to run through the shit, because he was too dumb to check the content integrity before running it through.
>>2876
Your analytics are feel good analytics. Unless your system uses Statisticians/Data Science in combination with Python, R and Haskell or another datalanguage set, it is feel good Analytics for feel good marketing. You'll have work for 10-15 years and deep learning will take over that.

Anonymous 2907

>>2906
Shit that sounds super annoying. Hopefully this will be enough to get him fired. People who get jobs but don't know shit absolutely baffle me and I hate when they are allowed to stay on for some unknown reason.

Anonymous 2908

images.png

I have applied to work at LUSH and have managed to get through to the second stage (group interview). I am legit bricking myself because I'm 26, I haven't had a job in 7 years but I REALLY want this job guys. I REALLY WANT IT.

Anonymous 2909

>>2908

Good luck anon! You can do it!

Anonymous 2910

>>2908
Good luck anon!

Anonymous 2911

>>2908
Jelly AF, i LOOOOVE Lush! Good luck anon!

Anonymous 2912

Screenshot_2017090…

>>2910
>>2911
>>2909
screaming intensifies
Last stage is the trial shift where I have to demonstrate how I interact with customers, and if I can pass that I'm in!
Obviously it's only a 12 hour contract and since it's temp work it means I'll only be there until the end of January, but I'm hoping that if I perform well enough they'll keep me on afterwards. I've always wanted to work for a company that promotes a similar ethos as my own.

Anonymous 2913

>>2912
Good luck on the last stage!

pls tell your manager they should make a daddyo perfume lol

Anonymous 2914

>>2913
>>2911
>>2910
>>2909
Uh, so I had my recruitment evening today, starting from 18:30 and finishing at 20:30, but I'm feeling pretty disillusioned about the whole experience to say it nicely.

I spent the last three days memorising facts about the company, where it was founded, who by, what the company's core ethos encompasses, all their major campaigns, the properties of kaolinite, menthol, aduki beans, moringa oil, ylang ylang, avocado etc. I also memorised a bunch of different interview questions such as "how would you describe a great customer service experience", "how have you dealt with irate customers in the past", "what do you feel you can bring to the company", and in the end it was all worthless. I didn't get asked a single question relative to the company, its ethics or my performance as a potential employee, the manager and supervisors all just wanted somebody who could shill their products the hardest in the most peppy, boisterous manner possible. I don't have any experience in salesmanship so I kind of bumbled over my product demo and the roleplay section where I had to try and sell a gift box to one of the team members evaluating us. I'll be amazed if I get a call back, but I did indicate that I am available all hours and the position seems more time based so who knows. I don't feel good about the experience though.

At least I got a free bubble bath bar out of it. Only problem is, I don't own a bath.

:(

Anonymous 2915

I just did an all day interview and I'm trying so hard not to get my hopes up about it and failing miserably. The people there are so nice, and it seems like such a great community, and I feel like I'd learn so much, not to mention how badly I need a job.

I hear back tomorrow and I can just see them saying I won't be moving on to the next interview stage and being crushed by it.

Anonymous 2916

a4ae13feea45706b21…

I became a security guard after I decided I couldn't handle the office drama and bullying that comes with being a pink collar office worker. I decided to do it after I lurked the wageslave general on wizardchan and observed what the jobs were that wizards had where they seemed somewhat happy and not overly suicidal. I would really recommend it as an option to other girls who have aspergers, social anxiety, or another condition that would impede you from working a more "normal" job. The pay is hardly better than minimum wage but it's zero stress and I spend about 10 minutes a day total out of an 8 hour workday actually interacting with other people at work. For the rest of the time at work I play on my phone, draw, and read books. It's almost like getting paid to be a NEET.

Anonymous 2917

>>2916
Damn anon, I'm jelly. Mind if I ask what you're like and what the hiring process was like? I always assumed those sort of jobs were biased towards larger men, so I never bothered.

Anonymous 2918

530796547a9bacfd49…

>>2917
The position I applied for specifically said they were not biased towards hiring women and people with disabilities and that the position was for an unarmed guard. If you are looking for security jobs and you see something like that, it likely means the position is a fixed post where you don't have to patrol or even stand up. A position that specifies you'd be monitoring a CCTV would also be a good pick. Private security guards are regular civilians and do not have the authority to actually place anyone under arrest or detain anyone, so if you're working private security your employer will not expect or want you to place someone under citizens arrest. It would be a huge liability for them. If you are working a government security job though (like for a university campus or public library) you may have to do stuff like tackle drugged out hobos sometimes. I personally would not recommend that.

For the hiring process, after passing a drugtest my employer paid for me to go to an 8 hour class that was basically just "never ever try to place anyone under citizen's arrest!!" because my state requires that for private guards. I knew a tiny 16 year old Asian girl who was a mallcop as a summer job once so I don't think you need prior experience. They just want you to show up in uniform on time and not be on drugs.

But I think if you have any career goals you are working towards, you should try your best at that first. Being a private security guard is a great plan Z if everything goes wrong, though.

Anonymous 2919

>>2918
Damn anon that sounds sooo comfy! Congrats on the great job. I'd be really interested if I didn't have to have "specialized" work for immigration. Once I get citizenship or permanent residency, I'd love to be a housewife since I wouldn't have to worry on losing my status if my husband died or leaves. Housewife sounds pretty similarly cozy to security guard. Lots of alone time and you get to practice cooking and watch tv all day lol…I also lurk wizchan btw.

Anonymous 2920

>>2915
I'm moving on to the next step! Have any of my tech miners done a "team embed" day as part of the interview process? Any tips or advice? I'm so nervous!

Anonymous 2921

>>2919
Same, being a housewife is also my long-term goal! I hope we can achieve our dreams some day lol.

Anonymous 2922

>>2914
Whelp I guess I'm full of shit because I ended up receiving an email back inviting me to participate in a trial shift on the 23rd.

After I got back I ended up reconciling that at the end of the day, even if it does seem like a bit of a hard sell position, LUSH is still a company, and I'd rather be shilling legitimately environmentally friendly, wholly organic, preservative and pesticide free products that actually fund worthwhile ethical, social and economic campaigns than I would, say, mobile phones.

Fingies crossed.

Anonymous 2923

Hey anons, any tips for dressing business casual?

I'm going to be starting an internship soon and 90% of people in the building dress like the typical office worker (really boring, black pants and dress shirt). I'm kinda irritated that jeans are a no-no, since there are so many styles and colors of jeans out there and not all of them are strictly casual.

I don't want to look like a boring office lady at 21, but I don't want to stick out too much either. Are there any major no-no's for business casual?

Anonymous 2924

>>2904
Désolée j'avais pas vu ta réponse (je pense qu'on peut se parler français juste vite fait), je voulais savoir où tu as fais ton stage et comment ça s'est passé. Je vais poster une adresse mail faite à l'arrache plus tard pour qu'on puisse mieux en parler si ça te dis.

Anonymous 2925

>>2923
I swear there used to be a business casual thread in /beauty/ but I don't see it anymore. Did it get pruned for some reason?

Anonymous 2926

>>2925
This one? >>>/beauty/565

Anonymous 2927

>>2926
There it is! For some reason I couldn't find it in the catalog. I think I'm just blind.

Anonymous 2928

I have my trial shift at LUSH tomorrow, lasting from 11:00 until 13:00. During that time I'll be evaluated on my interactions with costumers, providing testers, conducting demos and making sales. I'm about as socially introverted as you get and I'm screaming inside. I don't want to be judged in realtime AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I'M SCARED

Anonymous 2929

>>2928
How did it go, anon?

Anonymous 2930

>>2929
I didn't get the job because I wasn't willing to lie to a girl with pretty bad acne about how a product she was looking at (Ocean Salt) wouldn't completely destroy her skin when I knew it would, and instead recommended her a milder alternative (Angels on Bare Skin). Seeing the managers reaction to me being honest about how sea salt, vodka and lime probably isn't a good combination to put near skin with open lesions/wounds (tbh none of that shit should be going anywhere near anybody's skin ever, I'm relieved I didn't get it.

Gonna try and see if I can arrange to volunteer at a nearby animal sanctuary instead and see if anything comes out of that. I don't think I'm cut out for predatory nature of retail environments.

Anonymous 2931

>>2930
>none of that shit should be going anywhere near anybody's skin ever

If you have such an issue with their ingredients, why did you write this?
>>>/beauty/1118
>I applied to work for the company because I'm pretty knowledgeable on a range of their products, their composition, usage and application.
>I legitimately loved LUSH

I'm not trying to stir up drama but your expectations of a retail job are plain unrealistic.

It sucks that they gave you shit for not pushing a product on a customer that was wrong for their skin, but you seem very worked up and tbh a bit sour grapes. I don't think you didn't get the job explicitly because of that one product you failed to sell, you even said it yourself that they had other complaints about you.

>Next step: Volunteering at animal shelter


Good luck in the professional world.

Anonymous 2932

>>2931
not that anon but

>Good luck in the professional world.


For what it's worth, I think volunteering can be a great way to build out your network and get your name out there if you approach it like a networking opportunity.

Anonymous 2933

>>2932
Volunteering is fine. I just think Anon has another disappointment coming.

Anonymous 2934

>>2933
It is possible, but at the same time I think the best thing anon can do for herself is to stay positive. I had to turn down a job when I was desperate for work too because the company was such a mess, and it felt awful but I landed my literal dream job only a few months later. I didn't let that interview experience get me down, but I also didn't lower my expectations for it, and I think anon should try and do the same as much as possible.

Anonymous 2935

>>2931
>if you have such an issue with their ingredients, why did you write this?
Why am I not allowed to enjoy the majority of a company's products and criticise a minority of them? Ocean Salt IS a shitty product. It's garbage. LUSH shouldn't be selling it. Period.
I do (did? idk their seles setup is a sloppy mess) love LUSH but if I ran the company that'd be the first thing I removed from the shelves because it's not helping people, only harming.

>good luck in the professional world

Thanks for the encouragement but I'm afraid I'm actually NEET trash. My entire existence is funded by my partner, I never actually needed to get a job in the first place, I just thought a part-time at my favourite overpriced soap repositry might be fun and something to get me out of the house.
It's sad that you disparage volunteers without appreciating just how much they contribute to society though. You should try it sometime and maybe you can gain an appreciation for what a difference these people make without needing to.

If you're in a professional position that you enjoy then really good for you, I'm legitimately happy for you, but the snotty attitude towards those that aren't or perhaps don't want to be is pretty unwarranted.

>>2932
I was actually thinking of it as a networking oppprtunity as well, but honestly more than anything I just want to be able to be getting out everyday and contributing to something good. Even if it's just shovelling up horseshit all day or walking dogs for 8 hours unpaid, I'd adore it. I used to volunteer at my local animal welfare charity store and that was incredibly rewarding on its own.

>>2934
Oh wow I bet you're relieved you waited. Congratulations on being able to find a your dream position, that's actually great.

Anonymous 2936

>>2935
>My entire existence is funded by my partner, I never actually needed to get a job in the first place, I just thought a part-time at my favourite overpriced soap repositry might be fun and something to get me out of the house.

Everything you post oozes self-importance and entitlement. You're not subtle, especially on a small site like this, Spoony.

Anonymous 2937

>>2935
No one is disparaging volunteers anon, just you.

Anonymous 2938

>>2935
Lush is a company, they do not care about people, just what people care about buying. Most of lush's products are garbage, they're just cute and spunky and ~all natural cruelty free~ wrapped up in a nice little package. Most of the stuff is shit and full of expensive ingredients that do nothing for skincare, but make the average customer oooh and aaah and buy. They're just a huge corporation riding a trend. If you really cared about all natural cruelty free skincare, you'd go to a local natural foods store and buy from them, because they have small business products.

Anonymous 2939

>>2935
>Thanks for the encouragement but I'm afraid I'm actually NEET trash. My entire existence is funded by my partner, I never actually needed to get a job in the first place, I just thought a part-time at my favourite overpriced soap repositry might be fun and something to get me out of the house.


tbh its incredible to me how someone can be this smug to brag about their privileged situation while shitting all over le greedy retail jews. some people need to work their way up from the bottom and if you seriously think LUSH employees of all people are "fucking evil" and you "dgaf how hard up they are" >>>/beauty/1151 because you got disillusioned when you performed poorly at a job interview then you deserve for your bf to dump you out of the blue and put your entitled ass back in a council house. otoh you don't even deserve state assistance considering you applied for an emergency grant bc muh poverty and then changed your mind and used it for elf ear modification.

you'd think after almost a decade of being exiled from every single board you go to you'd learn to at least attempt to stay under the radar but what do you know. your godawful putrid personality ruins every imageboard you go to, no wonder you don't have any friends and have to post on anon boards to complain about muh swedish imageboard friends who inexplicably stop talking to you (i wonder why)

>inb4 why are you so obsessed with meeeeeeeee


5 second google search. all your shit is archived, as you know.

i'm out, saged for sperg

Anonymous 2940

5TSKLQm.png

>>2939
>this is the last you'll ever hear or see of me

God I wish.

Anonymous 2941

>>2939
omg this was spoony??? really??? wtf?

Anonymous 2942

>>2938
>If you really cared about all natural cruelty free skincare, you'd go to a local natural foods store and buy from them, because they have small business products.
I was just thinking this. Lush smells like dogshit and chemicals to anyone who's actually into pure essential oils and natural herbal soaps/perfumes/lotions/what have you. Corporations will claim their product is anything just to get people to come in, their stuff is NOT all natural and I have doubts that Lush's products are cruelty free.

>>2939
Of course it's just spoony being a retard as usual.
>muh elven ear surgeriezz
>~i totez care about the plants and animals look how ethereal i am~
>doesn't care about natural products at all and likes the smell of the harmful synthetics in lush's products
Embarrassing.

Anonymous 2943

>>2939

Are you fucking kidding me? This bitch used an emergency grant to MAKE HER EARS POINTY?

Yesterday I was in a public bathroom listening to a mother cry on the phone about how she didn't know how she was going to feed her children after her husband left her. "My birthday is ruined but I don't care, all I'm thinking about is putting food on the table," seriously.

It's not like you have any semblance of thought for anyone but yourself but these are the kind of people you're taking money away from Spoony. Maybe next you should get your frontal lobe reshaped to be pointy too because you clearly don't fucking use it.

Anonymous 4315

Has anyone ever used Angel List? I thought interning at a startup would be nifty, and I could stay with my relatives in the Bay Area or Chicago if necessary.

Anonymous 4322

>>2939
So this is the infamous Spoony eh? Is she British?

Anonymous 4323

>>4315
I never heard of Angel List even though I'm from the Bay Area, but it seems legit. Do they have internship positions there? I also need an internship, so pretty interested myself. Thanks for posting anon!

Anonymous 4440

i'm 26 years old and a full time barista.


i get paid $25 an hour and get 35-45 hours a week. so it's enough for me to survive and not stress about money. but it's also not a lot of money and there's no opportunity for advancement or to make more money.

i'd like a career. i had a full scholarship to college but fucked it up because my mental health was really bad at the time. i'm healthy now and have been stable for a few years but it sucks that i messed up such a good opportunity.

now i just live in a small town in a different country making coffees all day. it's pleasant enough, i like my job for the most part, it's busy and goes by fast and the people are nice.

i just can't help but feel like a failure and wonder what i am going to do. am i still going to be making coffee at 40 years old??

i need to go back to school but i don't really have any interest in anything. i don't know what to do. it's okay to cruise along with it for now but i know sooner or later it's going to hit me that i'm not doing anything.

Anonymous 4448

>>4440
$25/hr for a small town barista is really good fucking money and you're not likely to get a decent wage like that anywhere else without some kind of certification or degree. I don't even know many college grads making that much, or will be within the next 10 years.
You can definitely put aside a small retirement fund with that wage if you're not frivolously spending.

Anonymous 4481

Is Spoony really that bad?

I mean yeah she's an imageboard addict and stuff and an attention whore but I don't think she's particularly awful in terms of her behavior.

Anonymous 4482

>>4481
Yeah this bitch be bad mane

Anonymous 4484

>>4481
I wonder if spoony wrote this…

Anonymous 4485

>>4484
Nah, I'm not spoony. I also come from the UK though.

Perhaps I just got too used to lurking /pt/, and although Spoony is crazy, people like VenusAngelic make her look marginally more sane than she actually is, lel.

Anonymous 4499

>>4481
she's the reason we're being raided. she was also the one a-logging in the LC thread about wildchild, she's been doing the same stuff on LC as well.

Anonymous 4500

>>4485
wtf are you even on about? spoony is a pathological liar sis.

Anonymous 4522

>>4315
>>4323

If you girls want internships there's no online substitute for going to relevant meetups where you want to work. Move in with your relatives first and start attending tech talks, mixers, hack nights, etc etc. I just landed my first job this way and there were definitely internship opportunities there as well. There's always free food, too. Just make yourself presentable, bring your resume, and practice looking really enthusiastic about tech.

Fair warning though, you won't probably get paid shit for your internship, but if you take on a major part of the project it'll be really good on your resume for when you want a full time position.

Anonymous 4691

I'm an idiot who decided to get a dual degree in ~muh passion~ which was English and Creative Writing. Now I work in retail and my life sucks. I don't even have time to write anymore. Any ideas for a dumbass like me?

Anonymous 4693

>>4691
Publishing jobs? Teaching? Tutoring?

Barista?

Anonymous 4697

>>4693

I should have gotten a teaching certification, but I didn't. Publishing is what I would love to do, but I didn't do any internships and there's no jobs where I live for something like that. I'm also paying ~$1k per month in student loans, so I can't afford a low paying (if I get paid at all) internship. I was thinking of freelancing, but again I work full time so I have little time to start doing it. I feel like an idiot.

Anonymous 4719

>>4691
I'm kinda in the same boat as you anon.
I got a double major in English and Poli Sci for free; went and got a Master's in English and completely fucked myself into 40k debt lel.
Now I'm saddled with a shitty lease, a bf who doesn't exactly raise me up, and a call center job where the benefits aren't bad but the work is awful, awful.

I've tried going the publishing route myself, but it's a real challenge unless you have a connection and lots of internships/projects in your resume.
You can do overseas teaching w/o any certification. If you don't have anything tying you down here like I do. I'd recommend a gig like that. Seems real sweet, especially if you're a dual major, white, and come from an English-speaking country.

Anonymous 4727

Is anybody else a college grad that couldn't find a job in their field and is working retail?

I was insistent on applying for jobs in my field but after 6 months of nothing, I started applying to everything I could possibly find and landed a retail job semi-related to my field. In addition to not making very much money, I'm starting to get very depressed because I mostly work with people who just graduated high school or are in their freshman year of college. I just feel like such a failure compared to them. It's not that I think I'm too good for retail, but I just feel like it's a stage of my life that should be past by now.

It makes me feel like what was the point of going to college at all if I'm right back where I started when I was working retail jobs in high school? I know it's my fault because I have social anxiety and did not network at all when I was in school. My refusal to get help for my issues was a big part of my downfall and my lack of success…but I can't go back now unfortunately. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation and feels the same way…I would love someone to commiserate with.

Anonymous 4728

>>4691
Library maybe? In my country, that's a very good field with plenty of work.

Anonymous 4729

I work as a language teacher on weekends and I didn't get much sleep last night. I'm fucking dying. I love my job and I am glad I don't teach kids, but god is it tough? I get so salty when people comment what they wanna do on weekends because I know I have to go work and then finally sleep at night.

Anonymous 4730

>>4727
>>What was your degree in anon? Maybe we can offer some advice?

Would you be willing to relocate to a new city/state/country etc for a job in your field? Did you tailor every application to the specific employer?

I'm sure there is a job out there in your field for you!

Anonymous 4731

>>4691
Law school!

Anonymous 4744

>>4731
Don't listen to this anon. Law school is balls to the wall if you haven't dealt with work intensity of that kind before.

Try getting that teaching qualification.

Anonymous 4745

>>4727
I know that in my field, cold applications aren't worth shit. You've gotta get out there and meet people from your industry. It's never too late to network.

Anonymous 4756

>>4730
Thanks for the advice. I don't really want to share my specific degree because I'm overly paranoid, hope you understand. But it relates to advertising/commercial art. I went to college in Los Angeles and aside from NYC that is the perfect market for what I want to do, but unfortunately I had to move back home across country when I graduated because I couldn't afford to live there anymore. I would be more than willing (and would honestly prefer) to relocate to another city, but I'm not sure how to go about applying for jobs in other states/cities when I don't live there. I also don't have much in savings, so that presents a problem even if I were to get a job out of state and had to relocate. Not sure I could afford it tbh.

>>4745
Yeah I'm quite sure that's the case for my field as well. I was filling out applications and trying to make my cover letter look nice but at the end of the day I'm sure they get tons of great resumes and cover letters and I'm just one out of many. Plus the only way for them to see my portfolio in that way was to write a link to my website, and I doubt they even waste their time doing that. Networking would fix that issue as well :( I know I have to start networking I'm just not quite sure where to start. But thank you for the advice anon.

Anonymous 4766

1506013329765.gif

Holy shit, i finally got some accepted into some offers for entry level jobs (mostly retail), started discussing how my work would be and it seems kinda ridiculous to me. Although I've had no previous work before so i don't know if it's normal.
(I'm currently a student, so i'm not sure if that influences it.)

So, being brief, all the offers that i got accepted into had these qualities:

>4-5€/hour max.

>No holidays. Gotta work on them, no possibility of a rise and non-paying extra hours.
>Around 30-35 hours a week.

Is this normal for entry level jobs or are they just taking students for the bare minimum as their work dogs?
Because idk if to take it or wait until better offers come, since i currently am not too tight with money and mostly searching job to get the CV pumping.

Anonymous 4768

>>4766
I'd honestly say it depends on where you are. My first job was £7.50 an hour which is the adult minimum wage, plenty for a student/NEET but very difficult to survive on. It depends how much €4-5 gets you in your country, but that kind of description is what sounds about right.

Anonymous 4778

>>4728
I second this. I don't know what country >>4691 is from, but if you're from the US, a Master's in Library Science is an "easy" Master's to obtain. As long as the program is accredited by the ALA, you should be golden. A lot of those master's programs can be held completely online. Also, if you go towards the public library route, it can be a nice, cushy government job (given the occasional wild homeless person or two) with great benefits.

Anonymous 4794

>>4756

I'm >>2894 and I explained how I found networking events here >>2897

Most of the events were free and there was almost always free food, so all in all it was a 10/10 experience even without considering that it eventually did land me a job.

Anonymous 4799

>>4794
What field is that?

Anonymous 4815

>>4799
Software engineering

Anonymous 4817

>>4815
>>4799
Also I just realized I never fully updated since it happened around when the spoony drama hit but after about two months of networking like this I did land exactly the kind of job I wanted in my industry. I start tomorrow!

Anonymous 4952

>25
>Learning Associate for credit card company (not an actual trainer, I design web trainings. So I do graphic design, videos, interactive training, etc)
>70% of co workers girls
>49k a year with bonuses up to $6k a year
>work is good, but it can drain my creativity that I used to direct into personal work
>My boyfriend is a stay at home husband now, and he loves it. It's nice to come home to a clean place and he's happy that he gets to spend the rest of his day smoking weed and relaxing once his work is done
>feeling pretty good right now

Anonymous 5388

>>4815
Aww, I don't think I'm smart enough to finish a course in that. Good job!

Anonymous 5399

>>4952

Your life is goals.
I hope to be as successful as you when I'm 25

Anonymous 5405

>>4952
how on earth can you support the two of you on 49k a year

Anonymous 5431

>>5405
how can you not support 2 people on 50k? where the hell do you live?

Anonymous 5819

Sorry if this is more of a vent but I had to get it out.
I feel like I'm absolutely shit at my job. I'm working part time as a sort of junior-artworker in a studio and I feel like absolute shit.
Today I got a job back that had been printed with the telephone number wrong, something that has been flagged up by the manager in the past so much so that he called an out of the blue staff meeting to discuss it. I've done my best to rectify. Still not fucking good enough.
It's almost always my jobs too that I deal with with spelling errors.
I don't feel like my design skills are anywhere near good and I always envy the fact the lead studio artworker is better than me. I know he has more experience but it still stings to see my work in comparison to his.
I always triple read emails I send in case I sound rude to customers, I practically have near panic attacks when I have to talk to them on the phone.
I don't know why I ever even thought I was capable, the manager already probably wants to sack me.

Anonymous 5823

>>5819 Oh anon, I feel fo you. I really do. Sending the biggest hug.

It's very obvious you have low self-esteem though. I know it's easier said than done, but try to work on this, even if self help book or therapist.

If you got the job in the first place, you are good enough.

Also, everyone makes mistakes in their jobs. Everyone. You cannot be fired over a typing error. The worst that can happen is a warning. Listen to what they have to say, but if they get unreasonable you're allowed to stand your ground. Maybe mention the fact it's spelling errors you have an issue with, so maybe you will look into why that may be (it may be dyslexia/dyspraxia), and have they got any recommendations for you as to how you can check over stuff more?

Don't compare your work to his. Maybe see this as an opportunity for peer-to-peer mentor-ship? You could say to him that you really are blown away by his work and does he have any tips etc. If there's a thing he does particularly well, ask how his does it (I lack knowledge in this field, if I'm wrong forgive me, but maybe ask what photoshop tools he uses mostly and stuff like that? He might even have macros set up that you take take on board)

Ultimately anon, this is a bad day. A very very wanky bad day, when you're already feel shitty about it all. But having the gusto to be like, "I can learn from this!" is what will turn you into the best version of yourself <3

Again, I know it's hard but I'm super cheering for you and sending hugs. Video unrelated but I hope it makes you laugh <3

Anonymous 5857

>>2867
>What job/career are you currently working or working towards
Software engineering. Namely quality assurance because I hate dev. It gives me anxiety.
> What have you noticed about people in certain career paths
In my career path, people are disgustingly smart about algorithms, math, optimization… but 95% of them are really socially inept. I wouldn't be surprised if all of the 95% were on some kind of spectrum, though there's no problem. There are girls of course, but they usually fall into two categories: Heavy "I'M A WOMAN PROGRAMMER I'M BETTER THAN YOU" vs "I'm just here to learn and do my job". I don't really like the former, but I guess I have to congratulate them for really putting themselves out there (no sarcasm)
> Where da money actually at for least stress, etc.
This is going to be a stereotypical answer, but it's always going to be the job that you have a real, raw passion for. Money isn't everything, I realized.

> Which fields do generally higher IQ/savvier women excel in (let's be honest, if you've made it to imageboards/Crystal Cafe you're over a certain threshold of smarts of some kinds)

lol seriously? This is bullshit.

> Tips for other anons/Ask for advice

Work on side projects when you can. It's really hard for me to learn languages and start projects because well… I don't really like my field as much as I should. I fell into it because of my program.
> Shit that sucks about work in general
General tiredness after thinking for 8 hours. It really drains you out. Have a consistent sleep schedule. Work out. Eat healthy.

Good luck, anons!

Anonymous 5974

>>5819
I literally came here to ask for advice on the same thing. I landed my dream job two weeks ago and I'm getting increasingly worried about losing my job already. I haven't had any major fuckups but there's already moments that I keep replaying in my head like, why did I do that?! And I'm generally worried because I'm so junior and learning so many new things that I feel like I should have already known going into the job.

I'm fully aware that this is a self esteem issue and I'm working on it in therapy (though I have little faith that it will actually do anything… I've hated myself from the start) but I need some advice in terms of how realistic these worries are anyway.

Like, yeah, it would be really unusual to get fired after less than a month on the job. But, if I do suck as bad as I feel like I do, when is it reasonable to start worrying about getting fired? 3 months? 6 months? A year? How long would a small company hang on to a suboptimal employee just because she passed the interview process?

I know that the best thing to do is to work on my self esteem and keep learning as much as possible, but I need to be able to rationalize with myself a bit in the meantime.

Anonymous 5978

>>5857
I'm actually looking into a career in software development :)

>Why did dev give you anxiety?


>Also are the salaries really high?


>Are the men really that sexist?


Cause I've had uncles and my father really push me to not go into software engineering and instead pursue chemical engineering because of the gender disparity.

Anonymous 5982

>>5978
not that anon, but I'm also in software engineering. I haven't experienced any prohibitive sexism yet, it's still been on the level of microaggressions and the like, and I've been personally lucky that most of that was in job interviews for jobs I didn't take, rather than the places I actually ended up working.

The pay is pretty high but by that token it doesn't really feel like there are true entry level positions. I spent almost a year working as a contractor for wayyy less than minimum wage before I landed my first "real" job.

Anonymous 5998

>>5978
Hey! Thanks for the questions.

>Why does dev give me anxiety?

Tbh it's because I'm actually terrible at programming. I don't like to put out shitty original work for features and I prefer making sure that no bugs are passed through. I relate it to how much I prefer proofreading people's essays versus me writing my own if that makes sense. QA isn't AS demanding, at least in my company. The devs had a late nights because of client demands while my team never really did.

>Also are the salaries really high?

Yes and no. You'll definitely always have a decent salary right out of school without a graduate degree, even more if you have previous internship experience. However, depending where you work, the salaries are only high because the cost of living is just so high. A lot of my friends interned at big companies in California but they tell me they weren't able to save too much because it's so expensive there. Plus, other professions make more than programmers after they finish residency/articling etc.

>Are the men really that sexist?

For me, not really. I also go to a school where a decent proportion of girls study math/cs/eng etc. However I do hear a lot of "hAhahah she only got the job because shes a gurl xdxd" which you should ignore because they suck and it's not true. I never felt belittled at my previous internships and at my current company either. I feel like this might depend on where you live too. I think America might be a lot worse than Canada where I live.

Hope that answers your questions!

Anonymous 6000

>>5998
I also forgot to mention that I actually don't want to do technical stuff but this is what I am able to do and I'm too scared to make a career change. I would be a much better programmer if I got off my ass and learned things on my own time but really, I have no drive. Don't be like me.

Anonymous 6003

>>5998
>hAhahah she only got the job because shes a gurl xdxd

This is the hardest part because it really feels like it's true. Everyone keeps saying "they wouldn't hire you if you weren't qualified" but I've had literal hiring managers tell me something to this effect which has taken a lot for me to try to put out of my mind.

Anonymous 6006

>>6003
Same anon. I totally get it. The whole impostor syndrome.
However, in my experience and many other's, it only helps your resume get noticed if you're female. After that, you get treated like any other person. If your resume sucks, you'll get rejected. If you don't get the job after the interview, you'll get rejected like everyone else.
It does fuck with your head but I just keep that in the back of my head. You are more than your genitals!! Trust me.

Anonymous 7199

I'm thinking about getting a BA instead of BS in computer science, how screwed am I? I got to a good school, best in my state and a top 10 public University but when it comes to computer science its top 40 :/

I would love to work at a well paying company in Seattle, however if I get a BS, I can't work on the side or focus on my side projects.

I'd rather just focus on computer science instead of the excess math/science courses. I'm not interested in graduate school. I'm also not a traditional student so I really just want to get my degree.

Anonymous 7203

I'm in a field that is basically a dead end unless I go back to school and get at least a masters. I knew this going into it, my plan was always to do this for a few years and either have killed myself or move onto something else when I got older. Well "older" is getting here and I don't know what to do. I hated school and every time I think of going back I'm filled with dread, plus my GPA was low so finding a place that will accept me will be tough. But the only other thing I could think of doing would require certification and probably going back to school for an AS anyways, and I don't even know if I'll like it.

Shit sucks.

Anonymous 7210

I'm the process of getting hired for a position I've had for 3 years in another company. It's something I definitely can do and that I love doing. I also graduated in the field. However I feel so incompetent thinking I'm going to ruin everything, and whenever I have to come to my new workplace I get nervous asf lol. Is this normal? I've only had one job before, and I remember feeling this way too.

Anonymous 7237

7999ceead3c47f8728…

I work at a liquor store and I like it okay. Doesn't pay hardly anything but it's low stress and my coworkers are cool. Sometimes customers are insane because it's retail and that's part of the business, but I've had other retail jobs and I'd say people are more patient than at other places like grocery stores because they're buying booze. I also like liquor and learning about it is fun.

Anonymous 7255

I'm an art director and co-owner in a game company. We get to do pretty much everything we want for 2 years, but I won't waste a second of it goofing off. I've gotta nail this title to get enough dough to found a kid and enough cloud to come back later.

Anonymous 7256

Spoiler

>>7255
Oh, I sent that way quickly and forgot to mention a few not so great things about my industry: 1. it's fucking soul crushing to work twice as hard, have more experience than anyone on your team and still be doubted and ignored. 2. You will generally be the target of harassment by superiors when young, and slowly become their cleaning lady when older, unless you fight it or learn how to dominate men with a "no" without causing them to get sore from being rejected. 3. 90% of your best ideas will be stolen men and no credit will come from it, all you can do is work harder and become indispensable. 4. Prepare to be a token, you will be used to show how diverse your team is, but don't expect to be a part of the real conversations. 5. If you don't do snooping around to make sure you are paid equally, you should. There's a big chance that your male coworkers make way more than you… in games.. be tough and protect your sisters…

Anonymous 7475

>What job/career are you currently working or working towards

No idea. Want something business-y that can have high income. Transfer to uni next semester as Econ major, becaususe I have completed requirements to transfer. Spent years taking various gen ed. Like humanities but doubtful about future income. Tried comp sci for a year, but find programming boring and cannot pass Calc so that's a no-go.

What are careers with medium to high pay for people with mediocre ability in math and no interest in math/science?

Also, how does one improve one's resume in college for the future when your only work experiences is a tutoring center job you got six months ago?

Anonymous 7481

>>7256
I work as boring soft eng job and have always toyed with the idea of working in games (I double majored in game dev) but I keep yo-yoing because normal programming is already a sausage fest and I don't really feel like putting up with more of that. Super cool that you have you co-own a company now though, congrats!

Anonymous 7485

>>7475
I think accounting would fit the decent salary/ok math skills that you put down, but the subject itself is so boring you might not want to.

t. switched out of accounting in first year

Anonymous 7515

I'm not sure what I want to do with my life. I could carry on in politics and end up as a councillor or MP, but I'm not sure if it's what I want. They are very stressful jobs, especially as a minister or MP, where you're really in the public eye, being criticised for every single fuck-up.

Otherwise I'd like to do something where I'm making a direct difference to people's lives. My friends have said I'd be a good teacher, but I think I'd like to do something more than teach. I was thinking about social work, but it's a difficult field to break in to, I'm not sure I'd be picked for the graduate schemes. Any suggestions, anons?

Anonymous 7583

I had an interiew for an internship I'm really interested in last week but the boss is taking time to send me his answer and it's stressful. It's next to my home, simple and I feel like I could find a lot of interesting things to say for my dissertation since it's a mandatory internship for college so if I can't have this one I'll feel like complete shit and I probably won't be motivated enough to look for another internship this late in the semester.

Also, I'm getting really tired of my part-time job. It's retail so obviously it was going to be annoying, but it's getting worse and worse, our managers separate me from the colleagues I get along with the most on purpose (and they do that to pretty much everyone), they changed my working hours so I go back at home really late because of public transport and it's taking me some precious time I could have used to study, and I'm failing in some classes because I can only study the day before tests if I'm lucky. So I hope I can get the internship so I can also quit this job.

Anonymous 10611

Any anons that opened up their own business?

I've always had a dream of opening a family bakery/cafe and while i can read about it a lot on the internet, i'd like first-hand opinions for it since it's a little "dreamy" to open it with this economy and with big companies killing every small shop.
I'm saving a shitton of money for it and will still go to college so i can have more security if it fails, but i'd like to know how it fared you guys? Did you regret it in the end or are you still going strong?
What do you think is the most important thing to consider that other people don't tell you about opening your own business? Any tips?

I really wonder if it's a feasible dream or should i just give it up and just try to join an already established bakery.

Anonymous 10612

>>10611
Opening a cafe/bakery has always been my dream, and i sometimes regret not pursuing it. But! my dad owns his own business so I can be a little helpful i hope

You will probably need a personal/business loan to start, no matter how much you have saved. Your best bet is to keep money for "just in case" in a savings account. Would you be going in with a partner, business or otherwise?

The next step would be to find a location. Where I live there are three empty bakeries/restaurants that come with all the equipment you'd need. I imagine theres a reason these places are empty tho. Where your business is really plays an important role however.

Third tip i can give is find an accountant you trust!! business taxes can be confusing if you have a partner or if you dont know how to claim income for a personal business.

I wish I had more for you anon, but i wish you the absolute best of luck. keep us updated if anything happens!!!

Anonymous 11269

For those of you who have done hospitality or customer facing work, did you guys put photos in your CV/resume? I know photos are really common in Europe and east Asia but in other regions it's practically unheard of. I live in New Zealand.

I thought for this sector it'd make sense to put mine in but now I'm wondering if I made the right choice. Would it give me an advantage say if I'm moderately attractive, or would they instantly trash it due to anti-discrimination policies?

Anonymous 11283

searx.me.png

>if you've made it to imageboards/Crystal Cafe you're over a certain threshold of smarts of some kinds

Anonymous 11286

>>11283
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand imageboards.

Anonymous 11287

unnamed (13).gif

>>11283
For you. Also, talk for yourself.

Anonymous 11297

I'm in high school and I am thinking about going to college for being a lawyer– anyone in the field here? do you enjoy it? any advice on what I should be doing now to help? also, what's the day in the life of one?
thank u :)

Anonymous 11324

>>11287
>talk for yourself
Why not tell that to OP

Anonymous 40994

>>11297
Lawyering involves a lot of memorization. I've recommend that you use Anki when memorizing. Also, that field involves a lot of making contacts and socializing, so be prepared. College professors recommend the movie My Cousin Vinny, as it has 'the most accurate' representation of court on film, and will introduce you to the basic process of what goes on in court.

Anonymous 41107

1489098211627.jpg

>>2912
Companies have multi-stage recruitment processes for freaking temporary jobs now ? What kind of joke is this ?

Anonymous 41110

>>41107
It's over for me. I will never get a job after college.

Anonymous 42731

Ya'll will judge me but I'm doing a degree in popular music. I have an extended diploma in performance and no gcse's, though I guess I can easily lie about that on my CV. Plus I've never been able to stay in a job for more than a month.

What do I do guys

43677

i am from Italy hello. Can you help me translate? /rardor

Anonymous 43683

What sort of job options makes the best pay without too much strenuous work? I’d rather not socialize too much either but I can force myself to.

Lawyer (the type that does background research), urban planner, librarian, or accountant?

I’m not sure what I want to do with my life. I just want a job that has good pay and I don’t have to be put through too much stress. I’m in a program right now that I don’t even like but I got a huge scholarship so it’s essentially a free degree. I’d like to get educated in one of those fields after I’m done this one.

Anonymous 43684

>>43683
I would not recommend lawyer or accountant. Librarians don't need to complete any test, they only need an information science master's. I have no idea about urban planning.

Anonymous 43734

>>43683
Unfortunately lawyers make shit pay. The prestige and pay associated with it is pretty much in the past. You can still make it big but that's what it's like according to my disgruntled law buddies.

Can't think of any job with low stress, more figure out what stresses you out and what doesn't and find careers that match that. Like an example is my bff's job requires her to drive a lot, and that's extremely easy for her. But for me driving is a huge stress and I could never do it as a job. Conversely she would probably have anxiety attacks from the amount of socializing I have to do for work everyday, but for me that's all pretty low stress.

Anonymous 43745

I'm about to finish my mess of a degree in Information Technology, I'll probably make low-end pay until I get experience and transition into higher pay. My college transcript is a mess, at least I'll finally get my degree soon, if they ask about anything related to my transcript I'm just gonna say health problems. I got the skills, my gpa is 3.0> so hopefully I can at least get a job that pays 60,000.

44247

i am from Italy hello. Can you help me translate? /rardor

Anonymous 45425

>work for fast casual restaurant for 9 months
>boss gave me full time when i was first hired
>sweet.jpg
>slowly he started giving me less hours, i'm talking like 1-2 shifts per week
>it was ok because all the retarded teenagers working there call out of their shifts every week and boss does nothing about it
>he just calls me up and I agree to cover every. last. one.
>boss constantly calls me a life saver, says he doesn't know what he'd do without me
>i'm thinking uhh…just fire their asses and hire better workers??? but then i'd get no hours so i say nothing
>fast foward to this past week, realize all said retarded teenagers are getting promotions/raises and i'm still at the lowest starter position imagineable
>boss was telling me earlier that I'm doing such an awesome job, etc., so I'm think wtf, I'm a better worker than these idiots so why do they get more money than me??
>confront boss about it
>he brings up a past psychiatric hospitalization towards the beginning of my employment and tells me he doesn't see me as "dependable" because of it
>a literal violation of the ADA
>I guess the look on my face spooked him, because suddenly he's being extra super nice, giving me 6 shifts a week, complimenting me over the dumbest things

I don't know what to think right now. I really enjoyed this job although was embarrassed to be in my mid 20's with nearly all 19-year-old coworkers. And especially now that they are in higher positions than me it's ultra embarrassing. I was looking online at other job options that I might qualify for and found one that pays like $23/hr compared to my current $13.25 and was so hesitant to apply, now its expired. :/ You ever know that feeling of needing to move on from a shitty job situation but just can't get yourself to leave? I feel like I'm needed there almost and that my boss is regretting his decision of telling me that because he knows I'm the only person who doesn't call the fuck out and always covers shifts when asked, even when it's inconvenient for me.

Sorry for tl;dr I just had to put this somewhere

Anonymous 45434

>What job/career are you currently working or working towards
Software engineer
>What have you noticed about people in certain career paths
Sales people are loud.
>Where da money actually at for least stress, etc.
Not sure what this means? Low-stress depends on what kind of personality you have.
>Which fields do generally higher IQ/savvier women excel in (let's be honest, if you've made it to imageboards/Crystal Cafe you're over a certain threshold of smarts of some kinds)
LOL based on the threads I see here, I think the average IQ of people on this site is lower than average if anything. I see intelligent women in all fields. If you're actually smart you'll be able to do any job well.
>Tips for other anons/Ask for advice
Don't be a one-trick pony.
>Shit that sucks about work in general
People talk to me when i'm in the middle of figuring a problem out and it disturbs my focus. We have an open office which I hate sometimes, I wish I had a soundproof booth with no windows to work in

Anonymous 45538

I've been thinking of applying to flight attendant add I received. I don't mind planes, I actually like to fly. I think it might be nice change of pace. It feels like a mid life crisis kind of move. Plus if they keep the promise of how much I would get paid, the pay would be way better.
I currently work in as a manager in a leasing office. It's okay but the pay could be better. Some days I literal have no work to do and sit in the office quietly all day. Normally there would be a free apartment but there isn't any available now. I still lack the seniority if one opens up.

Anonymous 45549

>>45538
You should be a flight attendant! Depending on the airline, it can be very good. One of my friends went from manager to flight attendant and she did not regret it. She’s always in a new country every week. You basically get paid to go to new places. It’s like a dream job. I wish I could do that too but you have to be polite and deal with cranky jet lag people so that usually deters me from attempting

Are there any accountants on here? Should I become an accountant? What’s it like?

Anonymous 45554

>>43683
Depending on the type of accounting it can actually be very stressful and time-sensitive with long hours. Most people doing accounting and audits in my country have an exit plan because it's so stressful. If you work at the big 4 your work is your life and financiers are shitty abusive family members.

Anonymous 45573

>>45425
restaurant work somehow inherently makes you feel guilty for not doing it.
but fuck that mess they screwed you over and continue to and your boss is a dumbdumb.
just keep your eyes on new job postings i'm sure you'll find something. once you do you should jump on it.

Anonymous 45588

>>45538

hey anon, is it a flight attendant "school"? my friend got suckered in to one when she was feeling directionless and not hearing back from other jobs and it was basically a scam. if its a direct job ad for an airline you be fine.

Anonymous 45634

>>45604
You can only have a good life as a neet if you have someone to support you. Eventually you have to get a job when your parent's die/your boyfriend gets tired of you. And don't say anything about sex work that also has a time limit.

Anonymous 48204

>>2867
>What job/career are you currently working or working towards
Genetic Counseling because it's desperately understaffed, but I can move into research once I'm no longer at the bottom of the totem pole.
>What have you noticed about people in certain career paths
Geneticists are usually more politically conservative than those in related fields and "race realism" is vastly more common.
>Where da money actually at for least stress, etc.
Not in research or academia. If you want a low stress, high paying job get a small loan of a million dollars and start your own lab, then nearly of die of stress trying to keep it afloat for about 5 years, then establish the brand and sell it for a mint so you can retire.
>Which fields do generally higher IQ/savvier women excel in
In STEM? Biological sciences in general.
>Tips for other anons/Ask for advice
Don't even bother thinking "I'll get my Master's after I've worked in the field a bit" because the economy is shit and you'll need it just to get your foot in the door anywhere half decent.

Anonymous 49456

I want to follow up on a post I made in the happy feels thread, but it isn’t happy and this thread is kind of related…. I was really excited about a job opening I applied for, but while looking over my cover letter after I sent it I noticed I referred to the wrong job title. :( And over 200 people have applied for the position so it’s probably not even open any more rip.

Anonymous 49460

>>49456
>referred to the wrong job title
Nooooo. I don't know if there's anything one can do in this situation (I'm a neet who barely applied to places) but I hope you find another good job opening or get a nice job elsewhere.

Anonymous 49482

>>49460
I have a job now so it's not like a crisis but it was a good reminder not to be do sure of myself and double check things. :/

Anonymous 54397

I applied to a nice looking job and they contacted me to set up an interview, but now I realized that it would be a one-hour commute each way. My current commute is 25 minutes one-way. The pay is slightly better, and right now I work at least 30 min unpaid overtime a day, but still….

Anonymous 54398

>>54397
I mean, the salary of the new job is a bit higher. My current job has a lot of unpaid overtime, which will increase later this year if I get a promotion.

Anonymous 54420

>>54398
Is the salary really higher if you’re doing even more unpaid overtime???? Wouldn’t that cancel out if you break it down



[Return] [Catalog]
[ Rules / FAQ ] [ meta / b / media / img / feels / hb / x ]